Ingredients for 10 Appams
- 1 cup uncooked white raw rice
- ½ cup cooked rice.
- 2 tea spoon urd bean/ urad dal,(skinned black gram)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- water for soaking rice, ½ cup for grinding
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- The batter should ferment overnight without any added starter, but often won't. Yeast (or better still, kefir) can be added to help it ferment.
- The grinding can be done in a blender. Make sure that there is enough liquid in the blender so that the mixture swirls and grinds properly.